As an investor, you may be wondering what rare coins are and why they are worth investing in. Rare coins are those that are not often found in circulation and are usually older than most other coins. Their value lies in their rarity, age, and condition. While there are many types of rare coins, they all have one thing in common: they are valuable investments.
Investors can purchase many different types of coins, but some are rarer than others. Here is a list of the top 5 rare coins for investors:
- 1794 Silver Dollar
1794 silver dollars are considered by many to be the most valuable and rarest of all American coins. Struck in small numbers for only one year, these coins were minted at the first U.S. Mint in Philadelphia. Each coin is made of 90% silver and 10% copper, weighing 26.96 grams.
There are several different varieties of 1794 silver dollars, each with its own unique features. The most valuable and rarest variety is the Flowing Hair dollar, which was minted in only 1,758 pieces. This variety is distinguished by its obverse design, which features Liberty with flowing hair.
Other varieties of 1794 silver dollars include the Draped Bust dollar, which was minted in slightly larger numbers than the Flowing Hair dollar. This variety is distinguished by its obverse design, which features Liberty with a more modest hairstyle.
Here are some of the features that make the 1794 silver dollar a top rare coin:
- The 1794 silver dollar was the first silver dollar minted by the United States.
- It was also the largest silver coin minted by the United States at the time.
- The obverse of the coin features Lady Liberty, and the reverse features an eagle.
- The coin is made of 90% silver and 10% copper.
- Only 1,758 of these coins were minted in 1794.
- 1804 Ten Dollar Gold Piece
One of the rarest and most highly sought-after coins by collectors and investors is the 1804 Ten Dollar Gold Piece. Minted by the U.S. Mint in only 800 examples. The coin was never released for circulation, and all examples were stored away until 1834, when President Andrew Jackson gifted foreign dignitaries with them. Many of these examples found their way back into American hands, and today they are some of the most expensive and rarest coins in the world.
Here are some of the unique features of this coin that make it a great choice for investors:
- The 1804 Gold Ten Dollar Piece is the only coin of its kind. There are only fifteen known to exist in the world.
- The coin was minted in very small quantities. Just 1,500 were struck.
- The coin has a unique history. It was minted to commemorate the Lewis and Clark expedition and was given to important dignitaries, including Thomas Jefferson.
- The coin is composed of 90% gold.
- 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle
The 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle is one of the most sought-after by investors when it comes to rare coins. Minted by the United States Mint, only a handful of these coins are known to exist, making them extremely valuable.
Double eagles were initially produced in 1849, but the design was updated in 1907 by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. The new design featured a more naturalistic eagle and a higher relief, making the coins more difficult and expensive to produce. As a result, very few double eagles were minted in the 1920s and 1930s.
In 1933, the United States was in the midst of the Great Depression, and President Franklin Roosevelt took steps to end the gold standard. As part of this effort, the Mint ceased production of gold coins and began melting down existing gold coins. It is believed that only a small number of 1933 double eagles were saved from being melted down, making them extremely rare and valuable.
Here are just a few of the reasons why this coin is so special:
- It was the last Double Eagle produced by the U.S. Mint before the recall of gold coins in 1933.
- This makes it one of the rarest and, therefore, valuable Double Eagles in existence. -It is also the only Double Eagle that was ever issued with the special 1933 date.
- The coin was designed by the world-renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
- The obverse (front) of the coin features a stunning image of Lady Liberty, while the reverse (back) features a bald eagle in flight.
- 1804 Silver Dollar
The 1804 silver dollar is considered to be one of the top rare coins because of its unique history and its scarcity. The 1804 silver dollar was minted in response to a diplomatic mission to the East Indies. The mission was a failure, but coins minted for it are now some of the most valuable in the world. Only fifteen known 1804 silver dollars exist, making them a very rare and desirable coin.
Here are the top three reasons why the 1804 Silver Dollar is a great rare coin for investors:
- The 1804 Silver Dollar is the rarest silver dollar. There are only 15 known specimens in existence.
- The 1804 Silver Dollar has a unique history. It was minted in 1834, but the date was mistakenly struck as 1804. As a result, the coin is actually older than it appears.
- The 1804 Silver Dollar is valuable not only for its silver content but also for its rarity and unique history. It is one of the most valuable coins in the world, with some specimens selling for millions of dollars.
- 1870-S Three Dollar Gold Piece
The 1870-S Three Dollar Gold Piece is a rare coin that is highly sought after by investors. This coin was minted in 1870, and only a limited number were made. The value of this coin has increased significantly over the years, and it is now one of the most valuable coins in the world.
Here are some of the unique features that make this coin a wise investment:
- The coin was minted in only one year (1870), making it a true rarity.
- It is composed of 90% gold, making it a valuable precious metal coin.
- The coin has a unique design that is not found on any other U.S. coin.